The only real way to sober up is by waiting it out – your body must metabolize all the alcohol in your bloodstream (which typically takes one hour per drink). Some tips for easing the waiting process:
- Drink plenty of water and/or juice to get rehydrated
- Avoid excessive caffeine as it may contribute to dehydration. However, if you regularly drink coffee every morning, have your first cup not more than a couple of hours after you usually do. Don't force your body to go through caffeine withdrawal in addition to alcohol withdrawal.
- Take an over-the-counter antacid (Tums, Pepto Bismol or Maalox) may relieve some of the symptoms of an upset stomach.
- HOWEVER, do NOT take any painkillers (Advil and Tylenol) until the alcohol is fully out of your system. Painkillers react with the alcohol in your system and create a chemical that is toxic for your liver
- Do not go too many hours without food as this will increase the effect of the low blood sugar caused by alcohol.
- Eat complex carbohydrates like crackers, bagels, bread, cereal, pasta, etc.